Apprentice Visitor
w leadbeater

finishing ash

how do you finish ash ,I made a table and I don't want to screw it on finishing so if anybody can help

Honored Advisor
amateur60

Re: finishing ash

There are literally hundreds of ways to finish an ash table.  You first need to think about the style of the table, and how it will be used.  Where will it live?  What is the space it will occupy like.  With what furnishings will it share the space.  Who will be using it. In otherwords a very great number of very personal factors influance how any piece of furniture should be finished. 

A casual style, or function or environment may call for a "in the wood" finish that leaves the surface looking almost unfinished.  It could be either dark colored or natural colored.   A more formal appearance may call for filled pores and a gloss finish.  Use in a kitchen or bathroom wood call for a very different finish than in a guest bedroom or next to a day bed.  You want the piece to harmonize with it's surroundings, but in almost no cases does this mean trying to really match some existing furniture or house trim. 

If you can get back to us with some more explicit ideas about the look and function of the finish you desire, we can probably help you develop a finishing schedule to accomplish those goals.    

Apprentice Visitor
w leadbeater

Re: finishing ash

Thank's for your input I'm going to use the table for general use in my TV room I want to have a hard finish on the top because of stains and what else. Thank's again

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.