Senior Contributor
Garry Mat

advise

I have a 7 drawer dresser that looks like pine but I suspect is particle board. Is it ok to sand lightly and restain darker?

Thank you,
Garry E. Matlack

If you can make just the smallest change, hopefully for the better even within yourself, then you have just changed the world.
Contributor
Tony in SC

Re: advise

If it is in fact particle board, the "finish" is not really a finish, but a sort of applique to simulate wood grain.

In that case, answer to your question is "no".  I suppose you could paint it.  

if it is not particle board, and is actual wood, then normal refinihing techniques would be in order.

Good luck.

Tony in SC

Honored Advisor
Howard Acheson

Re: advise

Are you saying it's particle board or is it particle board with a wood veneer applied?  If the latter do not attempt to sand off the existing finish.  The veneer will be very thin and you will run the risk of sanding through the veneer.  In addition, sanding does not do a throrough job of removing all the existing finish.  Finishes like Minwax Wood Finish require virgin wood or wood where the existing finish has been completely removed.  Any residual finish will impede the application of a new stain cauing uneven coloring.  Use a chemical paint stripper containing methylene chloride.  Follow the directions on the label.  This paint stripper will do the best and fastest job removing the existing finish.

Howie..............

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.