Senior Reader
jag39

Staining Walnut

I am making a cradle with walnut and would like to end up with a darker finish than natural walnut will give me. Any sugesstions on a good way to achieve this, stain, gel stain, dye?

Advisor
Randy@Yorktown

Re: Staining Walnut

Jag39,

Maybe you've already done this but, if you haven't, take a scrap piece of the walnut that has been sanded and just apply a bit of water ever finish you're planning to use.  In my experience, the result has been that I've never needed to add any artificial color to walnut.  It darkens beautifully.

Senior Contributor
BobWoodworker

I used a finish on walnut recommended by Steve Mickley and it turned out dark and beautiful.  His recipe is to apply a coat of BLO wiping off all excess oil.  Allow to dry for 24 hours.  Then apply two coats of 2 lb cut garnet shellac. I wiped a third time with just alcohol.  It looks great and I may reduce the sheen somewhat with a coat of satin Pratt & Lambert #38, but this is optional.   Bob.

Advisor
Scott Holmes

TransTints dye.  Dark Walnut in denatured alcohol is what I would use.  Did this about 8 months ago on a large job ~2200 sq ft of walnut.

Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.
Esteemed Advisor
Larry-Jenkins

Sand a small piece of your Walnut scrap to 320.  Wipe on some Mineral spirits.  This will give you an idea how your finished Walnut would look with no stain.

Try it you might like it.  I personally don't think Walnut should be stained.

Larry

Larry.. East Central Iowa

Good enough.. Isn't.
Veteran Reader
bobcut

used to sell paint and stain .  sold stain to a gunstock manufacturer if you mix alcohol stain 1/2red and1/2 green adjusting to match a hershey bar you will get a good stain for bare wood . they used a clear epoxy finish that wont   darken bare wood at all so they needed some stain. my personal preference is to use an oil finish.:robotvery-happy:

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.