Veteran Advisor
Allen Worsham

Ratio of Mineral Spirits/Stain for 1st coat

I am working with Beech for the first time and I just got the specific stain for a frame project for church and put it on straight from the can on a large scrap piece that was sanded down to 220 grit like the frames have been done. It is a darker stain (Varathane "American Walnut #260). It soaked up a lot of stain and looks a bit muddy. So I want to thin it out a bit with mineral spirits as I have done that with oak before with decent results. Since this is a first for me with the Beech, what kind of ratio would be good for this or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Here is the scrap piece stained

DSCN0314.JPG

Here are 2 of the large 43"x43" frames prior to sanding

DSCN0310.JPG

Allen Worsham, Corona, CA

allenworsham@earthlink.net

"Graze in every man's field, but always give your own milk."

J.V. McGee
Esteemed Advisor

Re: Ratio of Mineral Spirits/Stain for 1st coat

I'm no expert by any means but you might try a wash coat of shellac before staining.   As always try on a sample board.   Roly

Honored Advisor
Howard Acheson

The only answer that makes sense is to test it out on scrap to determine the effect of the thinner

Howie..............
Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

Allen, I know that Ralph does the 50/50 with stain/spirits and I have had great results with a 50/50 shellac/DNA. I tried the stain method with not as good of results. Just my opinion.

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.