Frequent Visitor
vanilla_xtract
Accepted Solution

Question on finishing table

I built a table for an outdoor party yesterday. I made it out of fir. I was able to get it stained, but did not have enough time to apply the spar urethane. Of course, it poured last night. The table now feels dry, but do I need to wait a certain amount of time prior to applying the urethane?

Honored Advisor
stick48668

Re: Question on finishing table

you might want to hold up on that urethane...

this finishing forums has some really knowledable folks and that may be able to direct you to better suited finishes...

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Frequent Visitor
vanilla_xtract

Thanks. This is the first piece of furniture I made. I would hate for 12 hours of work to be wasted because of a stupid mistake. I've attached a picture for any who are interested.

IMG_2319.JPG

Honored Advisor
stick48668

1st project huh...

I like it...

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Esteemed Advisor
p_toad

[ Edited ]

if you want to have the grain still show, consider the deep base (with no tint) paint.   It's supposed to dry clear (no, i haven't actually tried it, but others here have)....   it will protect the wood better than varnish.

p.s.  nice table and benches.  welcome to the forums! :smileyhappy:

Honored Advisor
amateur60

Spar urethane is a very poor outdoor finish, despite  what the "marketing" on the label suggests.  For a clear gloss finish you would need to use a true Marine spar varnish.  Top brands include Epifanes Gloss, Pettit Captain's. and Interlux Schooner.  Even with the best coatings it regular maintenance, frequent refresher coats (every year or two) and occasional stripping and refinishing.  

Painting with a light color, using high quality oil based enamel would give a much more durable finish and need less frequent maintenance.  

Veteran Advisor
messy35339

p_toad wrote:

if you want to have the grain still show, consider the deep base (with no tint) paint.   It's supposed to dry clear (no, i haven't actually tried it, but others here have)....   it will protect the wood better than varnish.

p.s.  nice table and benches.  welcome to the forums! :smileyhappy:

I've tried it on the recomendations given here.

So for so good.

Taking slobbery to new dimensions!
Messy...
Veteran Advisor
messy35339

I wish some of my first projects had come out 1/10th that nice.

Taking slobbery to new dimensions!
Messy...
Frequent Visitor
vanilla_xtract

Thank you for the help and compliments everyone. It was a very nerve racking project, measuring a million times, cutting once. I'll look for those products, but I'm guessing they won't be at a typical home improvement store. Will they be at a Sherwin Williams type of place?
Esteemed Advisor
p_toad

hopefully this will give you a few ideas....  some depends on the finish you want..

home depot deep base search

I suspect that the SW will give you what you want also, but be aware that most paint department/paint store personnel don't realize you DON'T have to add tint to make it work.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.