Veteran Contributor
reddog2002

Orange shellac

Can someone tell me if orange shellac flakes color be the same as Zinsser amber shellac? I need some dewaxed shellac, I beleive the Zinsser product has wax.

Thanks Stacey

Honored Advisor
Steve Mickley

Orange flakes...

[ Edited ]

Stacey;

...will be very close to the pre-mixed amber shellac sold by Zinsser.  Indian handmade de-waxed flakes will also produce a good match; though with somewhat less color consistency from batch to batch.

Forgive my curiosity, but if you are still planning to use the finish schedule described in your previous thread, you still don't needed de-waxed shellac.  None of the products you propose to use will have adhesion problems with shellac that contains wax, unless of course the Deft "lacquer" is actually water-borne acrylic and not lacquer...

Steve

Finishing & Refinishing Forum Host
Veteran Contributor
reddog2002

Re: Orange flakes...

Steve

My plan is to use the Danish oil, a coat of the shellac and know I want to use Pratt and Lambert #38. I hope I wont get enough gas off that this will be a problem. I'm worried that the lacquer will scratch to easy, already had it happen to one of the drawers. I guess I thought that you never topped coated over shellac that had wax in it.

Thanks Stacey

Veteran Contributor
Jim Frye

Re: Orange shellac

For what it is worth, I filter Zinzer's canned shellac through coffee filters to get rid of the wax and what ever else is in there to keep the shelf life up.  The result is a totally clear liquid.  I have never had adhesion problems under polyurethane with this method.  With Zinzer's new canned formula, the filtering takes some time, but it works.  This is a last resort method to using dewaxed flakes or the Zinzer Sealcoat product.

Jim Frye
The Nut in the Cellar
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
Veteran Contributor
reddog2002

Did some research and the way I read it Deft is an alkyd and so is Pratt and Lambert #38 so that part is good. Read some on your web sight Steve and long as it isnt polyurethane or Polyacrylic I should be good to use waxed shellac. Nice web sight I guess I should read more .

Thanks Stacey

Honored Advisor
Howard Acheson

Exactly what Deft product are you looking at?  Deft is a brand name for a whole host of finishing products.  As far as I know, Deft does not make a non-poly oil based varnish.  Their products are lacquers and waterborne finishes.  In other words, they do not make a product comparable to Pratt & Lamber #38.

But, I could be wrong.

Howie..............
Honored Advisor
amateur60

The most widely known Deft product, their brushing lacquer, does contain alkyd resin.  They call it a plasticizing alkyd, which is why alkyd resin appears in lots of nitrocellulose lacquers--to reduce some of the brittleness that would obtain were the only resin nitrocellulose.  Alkyd is also a component in most single part polyurethane varnishes--these never have 100% polyurethane resins and could better be termed uralkyd varnishes.  This makes non-of their finishes similar to P&L 38 or other non-polyurethane oil based varnishes. 

Frankly, I don't see any particular reason to try to avoid dewaxed shellac.  Except for certain very specialized applications, such as seedlac used in antique restoration, shellac colors available with wax are also available without wax. 

Honored Advisor
Steve Mickley

You may want to check the label...

Stacey;

Unless Deft has run a completely new product in on us under cover of darkness, they don't make a varnish other than polyurethane.  What, exactly, does it say on the label?

As for the shellac, the issue is not that one should seek shellac with wax; the issue is that shellac that contains wax will not be a problem so long as it is not being applied beneath poly or a water-borne acrylic...

Steve

Finishing & Refinishing Forum Host
Veteran Contributor
reddog2002

thanks every one

[ Edited ]

I'm going to use the Zinnser shellac. Its Defts brushing Lacquer. I read this on their web sight

COMPOSITION BY WEIGHT

Vehicle 26 %

Nitro-cellulose 10.5 %

Plasticising alkyd 15.5 %

If  I called it a varnish it was my mistake.

Veteran Reader
markdad54

Re: thanks every one

I am researching the use of Deft Lacquer over Zinnser waxed shellac and I ran across your post from late 2009. I was wondering how your project turned out using the two finishes and whether you have any suggestions on applying the Deft ( I already applied the shellac).

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.