Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

Lacquer over paint

Always trying to find a better finish, I painted a board white and applied minwax polycrylic over the top (semi-gloss). Not bad, but still not what I'm looking for. Just for the sake of experimenting, I sprayed the other half of the board with Deft lacquer (gloss from an aerosol can), totally expecting a bad reaction (bubbling or what have you) on the paint. It turned out awesome!    My question is..... WHY didn't it hurt the paint? I thought lacquer was too hot to put over most other finishes. Is it just because of the type of lacquer or what? Would the stuff I get from SW in five gallon buckets work the same or would it wreck the paint?  What I'm trying to achieve is that very shiny finish you see on painted cabinets without buying tinted lacquer. I would like to be able to spray a clear coat over a painted surface if I so choose.

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Advisor
Floydd

Re: Lacquer over paint

RussBoyd wrote:

What I'm trying to achieve is that very shiny finish you see on painted cabinets without buying tinted lacquer.

Just a thought here....Have you thought about tinting your clear lacquer?

I had a guy walk me through the tinting process on another board. I wanted to spray black lacquer, but I didn't need to buy a whole gallon. It is surprisingly easy, and turned out looking great.

FWIW, I got it here

Dave~~from Indiana

I am a great believer in luck. The harder I work, the more of it I seem to have.
Honored Advisor
Howard Acheson

How long had the paint been on the surface.  You can frequently get away with lacquer on top of oil based finishes if the oil based finish is fully cured--let's say a year or more.

Howie..............
Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

Thanks Floyd. That sounds promising. Soon as I get a chance, I'll check it out. I appreciate it.

Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

Howard, It was water base paint and has only been on less than a week. Water primer then water base paint. I'm guessing that if I were to spray my "normal" lacquer, I would have problems?

Honored Advisor
Howard Acheson

>>>>  It was water base paint and has only been on less than a week.

That's the answer. 

Lacquer thinner is a solvent for waterborne finishes.  In fact, when testing to determine and unknow finish, the application of lacquer thinner which leads to softening is an indication of either lacquer or WATERBORNE FINSIH.

Second, waterborne finishes dry in two steps.  First is the evaporation of the water.  This starts the second process called coelescing.  Coelescing is the combining of a couple of chemicals to form a film.  This film does not become fully completed for a couple of weeks.  Waterborne finishes are similar to oil based in that they are not fully protective for a fairly long period of time.

Howie..............

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.