Contributor
drgene

Homemade tack cloth for painted surface, any suggestions

Hello, 

When I am finishing a piece that I put poly on, I will sand with 220 grit sand paper between coats and make a tack cloth out of a paper towel soaked in mineral spirit. My wife has asked me to paint my current piece and I saw an article in another wood working magazine about fine painted finishes and just before the final coats suggest to scuff up the primer with 220 grit by hand and remove the fine powder with a tack cloth. What would you all use to get the dust off a painted surface before going to the next coat?

Best regards to all and safe woodworking, 

Ron 

Massachusetts

"We see farther because we stand on the shoulders of giants" Sir Isaac Newton. Seems to fit this board too.
Advisor
Scott Holmes

Re: Homemade tack cloth for painted surface, any suggestions

With oil based finishes I use an old tee shirt (or blue shop towel) damp with mineral spirits.  For water based products I use same water instead of mineral spirits.

I don't use store bought tack cloths for anything... I leave them on the store shelves were they belong.

Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.
Honored Advisor
Howard Acheson

Avoid homemade or store bought tack clothes.  Many contain contaminates that can screw up your finish.  And, they can pick up contaminates and spread them to the rest of the surfaces.

It's best to vacuum off the dust.  After vacuuming, for the last coat, lightly wet a clean cloth or non-embossed paper towel with mineral spirits and lightly wipe the surface.  That will remove any remaining dust or lint.  No need for this between coats except for the last coat.

Howie..............
Senior Advisor
john880

[ Edited ]

I bought a good size roll of Cheesecloth, cut & fold it into what your hand is comfortable with. In my earlier just getting started, timid  of the next step time. Upon reaching the stage of  staining & finish of what took a great deal of time & effort to reach this latter point. I at that time bought Bob Flexners thick book on, Understanding Wood Finishing. In this he basely passed on the same advices as above. When you prersonally can control the amount, quality & combinations of the ingredient of a product, over the trust you place in some store bought products/material, that you cannot 100% vouch for. Over all,,, you are better off doing it your self, by controling the quality & amount of the  product that you have choise to use.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=cheese+cloth

TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.