Apprentice Contributor
slm312089699

Clear Coat Refinish On Remington Rifle

I have a Remington rifle I bought new in 1976 that has what I belleve to be Remington's "RKW Bowling Pin Finish". It is a very durable & thick high-gloss clear.  The finish on the stock is like new except for a small area maybe 1/4" wide max by 3" long on the very edge of what is known as the cheek-piece.  In this very small area the finish just looks dull.  I'd like to refinish this area if not too much trouble...I do not want to strip the entire stock.  Do you think I may be able to just mask off this small area, ruff it with an abrasive (maybe super fine sand paper) & then apply some spray varnish or something?  Thank you.       

Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

Re: Clear Coat Refinish On Remington Rifle

Have you tried a little polishing compound first?   It's possible that's all that's required.

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Senior Advisor
Woodburner

I certainly agree with Matt.  Will be pretty difficult to sand and then match it up to rest of stock.

LEO
Forums Host
Apprentice Contributor
slm312089699

Thanks for the replies.  Have not tried polishing compound.  Have never used it.  I wouldn't think I'd need much as we're looking at a very small area on this stock   Where do I get this product & is there any particular brand or type product that I need?  Thanks.       

Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

[ Edited ]

Automotive stores (Track Auto, etc. etc. etc) carry it in small containers about the size of old fasioned shoe polish tins.  I've used a few brands and really... they're pretty much the same.  I think I've got Turtle Wax brand on my shelf at the moment.

Moisten a towel that you don't care about and poke a finger throught the towel and scoop just a little of the polish out.   Rub, rub, rub and rub some more.   Keep the area moist (not necessarily dripping wet, just moist will do) as the polish works best that way.

Wipe the area with a wet paper towel to clean off the work spot periodically in order to judge your progress. Rinse and repeat as necessary.   Not hard, but it'll take a little while.

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Esteemed Advisor
Larry-Jenkins

Then, polish with a soft tooth brush, then a real soft cotton cloth.

Larry

Larry.. East Central Iowa

Good enough.. Isn't.
Apprentice Contributor
slm312089699

O.K.  Very good.  I've ordered a product called "Markron Gun Stock Scratch Remover" that supposedly works on about all gun stock finishes as I have another rifle with an oiled finish that has a few very tiny dull spots (hardly noticeable...really gotta look to see them) & another rifle that has more of a flat clear coat with some extremely minor scratches on the clear coat that do not go below the clear coat.  I may give that a try 1st unless someone in one of these forums I've been in or something stops me.  It's also being said that one of Birchwood-Casey's products will work but takes lots of coats steel wooled between each sometimes.  Not sure which way to go on all of this...but at least I have options.  Can't really predict what I'll actually do.  I'm better @ saying what I've done rather than what I'm gonna do.  But I'm definitely considering the polishing compound.      

Honored Advisor
ynoT

Sometimes the best source for what to use may come directly from gun shop it self.

I'm sure they deal with such stuff on daily basis.

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Apprentice Contributor
slm312089699

DID THE JOB! ! !!!  Picked up a can of Turtle Wax Polishing Compound Sunday & spent maybe four hours total on the ol' Remington rifle.  I'M CALLING IT MINT! ! !!!  That stuff really did the job.  Thanks a ton to all who contributed...learn somthing new everyday.  I'd of never guessed an automotive store would be the place to shop for a rifle stock project.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.