Senior Advisor
GeorgeK-NJ

Re: User Ratings ('Apprentice User', etc..)

Boy, this is a topic that I brought up a while ago and it still is a mystery to most.  I wondering if it also has to do with the numbers of Kudos a person has received and Tags, etc. as well as the posts.  I'm thinking that it also has something to do with a "solution" that person might have made in a thread that was acknowledged.

George K
Aberdeen, NJ

"I keep cutting and it's still to short"

"Stupid is Expensive"

Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

I'm having trouble letting it die I guess. There must be little gremlins that do it just to mess with us. Doesn't matter except someone new might think we know more than we do. I know I shouldnt be called an Advisor. I'm not that experienced in much but general construction carpentry. Certainly not woodworking. Oh well, Maybe I'll give up now......unless you guys keep it going?

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Honored Advisor

Russ, I agree someone knows how it is done.  For some reason they choose to keep it a secret.    I think the title just causes problems.   A person that has a high title can post in a forum in which they have no expertise so it does not necessary reflect their qualifications in that field.   I know who are the construction advisors, the finishing advisors, the engineering advisors, etc.   These people earned their respect with the answers over time.

Roly

Esteemed Advisor
Larry-Jenkins

OK..  Then are we suggesting that it is people rather than a sophisticated computer program that decides the "upgrade" of possibly under qualified posters?  (In our opinion.)  

In a recent post (above) our Moderator claims he doesn't know either.  Where do we go now for a reasonable explanation?

Larry

Larry.. East Central Iowa

Good enough.. Isn't.
Senior Advisor
GeorgeK-NJ

71166 wrote:

Russ, I agree someone knows how it is done.  For some reason they choose to keep it a secret.    I think the title just causes problems.   A person that has a high title can post in a forum in which they have no expertise so it does not necessary reflect their qualifications in that field.   I know who are the construction advisors, the finishing advisors, the engineering advisors, etc.   These people earned their respect with the answers over time.

Roly

I agree with Roly on this one.  There are people here with a lot of posts who seem to talk / answer /comment, just to do it.  The content of the posts for the most part are useless and do not add value to the forum.  So you really have to be around for a while to see the answers and make your own rating system for yourself. 

George K
Aberdeen, NJ

"I keep cutting and it's still to short"

"Stupid is Expensive"

Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

[ Edited ]

I agree, George, that's pretty much my point. I think that the newcomers might tend to believe someone without much experience based on their "title". I guess, when you think about it, it then becomes our job to dissuade them. I for one, have a lot of posts only because I enjoy this forum and like being an active part of it, but I also try and use words that indicate that my reply is based on my opinion or experience and that there are more experienced guys who will answer also. I feel that's the best I can do, but still want to contribute where I can. Maybe some day we'll get this figured out too. Like you guys have said...WE know the people who truly have the experience and can figure out which newbys do too. The real purpose is for all of us to learn and to help where possible. I love this forum.  Thanks to all you guys for your contributions.

Honored Advisor

Larry.Jenkins wrote:

OK..  Then are we suggesting that it is people Rather than a sophisticated computer program that decides the "upgrade" of possibly under qualified posters?  (In our opinion.)  

In a recent post (above) our Moderator claims he doesn't know either.  Where do we go now for a reasonable explanation?

Larry

Some one wrote the program.   I do not think someone is going over all the posts and deciding who is what.

I also don't believe that Matt knows how it is done or he would say.   I think it is in the programming which may have quirks in it to be able to get to a higher level by doing something.    Roly

Contributor
Matt_Snyder

User rankings are a mixture of things you do on the forum.

The most basic thing is the amount of time you're a member. That has one "path" with several rankings.The longer you're a member of these forums, the more you go up ranks over long periods of time.

Another "path" of ranks is how frequently you post, both starting a new thread and replying to others.

Other paths promote ranks for tagging posts or providing solutions to other users in reply.

These are meant as a fun means to grow and share your feedback with others on the forums. Big brother isn't watching. Higher ranks don't grant any particular privileges over others. Ranks promote automatically based on the forums' settings. It's not a competition.

It might be useful in SOME cases to notice that a person's rank indicates his level of helpfulness when asking a woodworking project question, for example. But, this is only a casual means to gauge someone's helpfulness or expertise.

You're all right on that the good content in your posts, your courtesy, the unspoken standing you earn in the forums here are the best measure of value. People who hang out here for any period of time will indeed recognize that most.

Thanks Matt,  That answered the question people were wondering about.    Roly

Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

Thanks,  "other" Matt. Great explanation. I can leave this alone now. Thanks again.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.