Community Manager
MSWood

Photos and file sizes

Anyone familiar with the old system should be comfortable with the process of posting photos.   

For the uninitiated, the process is quite simple.   At the top of your reply box, under the Rich Text tab, you'll see a line of controls.   Next to the smiley face you'll see a chain and then a tree icon.    The tree icon is for uploading photos into your posts.

When you click it you'll be presented with a popup box that gives you three methods of inserting a photo into your post.   

•      You can pull files directly from your computer,
  •      you can pull photos that have already been uploaded to your gallery or
  •      you can pull photos from another website (presuming you know the URL of that website, such as Photobucket, etc...)

Following the process for uploading is pretty simple.   It's chosing what to do next that can really make your forum posts be high impact.

If you're weaving a narrative you could choose the size as 'small' and select for it to sit to the left.

DSC_1468 (Large).JPGWhat this does is allow you to type to the right of the photo.  There's plenty of room to do this and you can do a bit of explanation about the photo and the reader can immediately refer to the photo as they're reading your text.

DSC_1477 (Large).JPGConversely, you can choose to put the photo to the right, and that nicely breaks up the text and photo layout.   It doesn't look so flat and one dimensional as a result.

The 'Medium' photo size looks like this:

DSC_1484 (Large).JPG

And the 'Large" size looks like this:

DSC_1490 (Large).JPG

"Full Size" takes up quite a bit of the page:

DSC_1488 (Large).JPG

After each photo is uploaded it will show up in your personal gallery pages.     The benefit to this is that you can do things like selecting the photo to become your avatar, or you can use the photos as another sort of photo bank.

But beware:     Your file size has to be 300Kb or smaller.   If it's larger than that it won't upload.

There are many inexpensive or FREE photo resizing tools out there, and which one you select has everything to do with what operating system you're on.

Have fun, and we eagerly look forward to oohing and aaaahing over your work!

Frequent Contributor
OU-STEW

Re: Photos and file sizes

I recently uploaded a photo to my album ,but only to make a point to what I was trying to convey. I would like to remove the photo ,not only from my album ,but also from the project gallery.

For all things repetitive use templates and jigs.
Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

Deleting from your album is easy.  Go to your personal page and on the left side you'll find your photos.  Click the one you want to expand it.   Above the exapanded photo you'll see 'IMAGE OPTIONS".   And in that dropdown will be the option to remove the photo from your gallery.

Deleting things from the photo gallery requires a message be sent to Matt Snyder, Meredith's software guru.    Even as a community admin I can't delete photos from there.   It'll require a note be sent upstairs.   I'll tag him about this thread.

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Frequent Contributor
OU-STEW

I see that photo is gone  from my post. I take it the picture being removed from the photo gallery also removed the photo from my post.

For all things repetitive use templates and jigs.
Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

I do believe that's correct.

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Contributor
Woodnut_Dave

I have tried to upload a .pdf file using the instructions here. The file size is below 300K and I also selected medium size to upload. This file is from my computer and when I try to upload it uploads then says incorrect file type.

What file type do I need to upload?

Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

.PDF files aren't supported.  Rather, you need to upload .jpg files.

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.